Career – Institute of Transport Research – Scientific activity / project work
Analysis of sustainable concepts in urban commercial traffic
At the center of the work of the IKON Institute for Transport Research are questions about the causes and offers for serving transport demand as well as the effects of transport on society, the economy and the environment.
In the Commercial Transport department, we analyze the effects of technological innovations in logistics systems on freight transport and examine trends and technologies in this field. The aim is to contribute to sustainable freight transport and to derive appropriate recommendations for transport and economic policy as well as for the transport and logistics industry. To this end, the “Last Mile Logistics and Freight Transport” working group is examining freight and service transport in urban areas. The parcel market in particular has been booming for over ten years and is even stronger in times of pandemics. This results in a wide range of requirements for innovations and new business models, but also for changes in behavior among commercial actors and recipients in order to achieve sustainability goals and preserve liveable urban spaces. We accept this challenge in a variety of research and implementation projects.
- Scientific processing and / or management of research projects on commercial traffic in urban areas, e.g. B. for the analysis of innovative and sustainable logistics concepts and the use of electric cargo bikes / small vehicles
- Research into the decision-making behavior (and possible changes in behavior) of the actors involved on the last mile
- Application and further development of methodological knowledge (quantitative, qualitative or experimental methods)
- Development of recommendations for action for political decisions in transport policy and spatial planning
- Elaboration of project ideas and preparation of funding applications in the field of commercial traffic
- Scientific representation of the institute externally, participation in national and international conferences and project meetings
- Publication of research results in specialist journals and scientific reports
- Instruction of scientific and student assistants, among other things. by supervising theses
Whether with astute analysis, idea development, number acrobatics or in project management: This position offers you different entry options, depending on whether you have already gained professional experience and have already worked in science or practice or come straight from the university. After an induction phase, you will be able to take on the named tasks independently and get started.
- Completed academic university degree (master’s / diploma) in the field of economics, psychology, social sciences (e.g. sociology, geography) or engineering, ideally with a connection to transport
- Very good knowledge of quantitative data analysis or qualitative methods
- Very good knowledge of German and / or English, both spoken and written
- Experience in leading or acquiring national or international research projects would be ideal, but is not a requirement
- Ideally, a high degree of self-organization and an interest in working independently on scientifically demanding questions
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team, social skills and a high level of commitment and willingness to cooperate are an advantage
You can look forward to an employer who appreciates your commitment and promotes your development through a wide range of qualification and further training opportunities. Our unique working environment offers you creative freedom and an incomparable infrastructure in which you can realize your mission. Compatibility of private life, family and work as well as equal opportunities for people of all genders (f / m / d) are an important part of our personnel policy. We prefer applications from severely disabled people if they are qualified.
Feel free to write us!