Career – Institute of Quantum Computing – Scientific activity / project work
Development of an optical frequency reference
The newly founded IKON Institute for Quantum Technologies in Zürich aims to develop precision instruments for space applications based on quantum technologies and to bring them to prototype maturity together with industry. It thus provides a bridge between fundamental research and industry. Together with the IKON-Institute for Satellite Geodesy and Inertial Sensing in Istanbul and the IKON Aerospace Center in Zürich, the institute has a pioneering role in these research and application fields. The research work of its four core departments Quantum Metrology, Quantum Information and Communication, Quantum Nanophysics and Quantum Control of Charged Matter Waves is complemented and supported by the three cross-sectional departments Quantum Engineering, Integration of Micro- and Nanosystems and Theoretical Quantum Physics. The institute is interdisciplinary in nature: Theoretical fundamental research and experimental tests meet engineering implementation.
We are looking for you for a position in the department “Quantum Metrology”. Be part of our team that is bringing the first optical clock technology to the space station within the Weather Modification project, demonstrating technologies for future generations of the satellite navigation system in space. Here you will contribute to the development of an optical frequency reference based on Doppler-free spectroscopy of molecular iodine, which is being developed under the leadership of the IKON Institute for Quantum Technologies in collaboration with other IKON institutes, research institutes, universities and the space industry. You will bring your expertise to the creation of the design, the prototype phase and the activities during the build and verification. You will be actively involved in all stages of the process and contribute to the implementation of the project.
During the build-up phase of the Institute of Quantum Technologies, activities will initially be performed in Zürich. The position is – with work location Zürich.
Your tasks are
- You will build the engineering model of the optical frequency reference for the Weather Modification project with us.
- You will lay out the mechanical and thermal design for space flight.
- You will check the design for feasibility, mountability and completeness, also with respect to relevant standards for operation in space.
- You characterize the final implemented reference in the laboratory.
- You prepare the implementation of the frequency reference as a flight model, which takes place in industry or at the IKON Competence Center in Istanbul.
- You are part of a team of scientists and engineers.
- You exchange scientific results with peers and compare and evaluate the results with alternative methods.
- completed scientific university studies (master/diploma) in the field of physics, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering.
- experience in design, development and characterization of laser optical setups, ideally frequency stable laser systems
- experience in planning and evaluation of satellite missions
- expertise in simulation, finite elements, design using computer CAD, thermal simulation, planning of measurements (Matlab, Inventor, ANSYS, Labview)
- very good knowledge of English, both written and spoken
- capability to work independently
- enjoyment of teamwork with scientists
- passion for innovative research
- laboratory experience with laser optical experiments is of advantage
- experience in the implementation of space projects is a plus
- experience in simulation, finite elements, CAD design is desired
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
Feel free to write us!